Wednesday, December 14, 2011

hair-apy

Oh, hair. You can make me look pretty, but you can also be a ton of work.

I happen to have fine, straight hair... but a lot of it... which basically means that my hair is always getting tangly.. and I shed like none other (sorry if that's tmi).

It also means that my hair gets greasy... FAST. Over Thanksgiving, my cousin (who is so LA), told me she only washes her hair twice. a. week. WHAT? HA! If I don't wash my hair in a 24 hour period, I start to look like a slicked-back used car salesman. She said that for her it was a long process to get to that point, starting by only washing your every other day (or every 36 hours if your hair is as bad as mine). Slowly, it starts to get less greasy, and used to not being constantly washed. To avoid looking like a wet rat while your hair is getting used to the transformation, you've got to use a dry shampoo.

...which brings me to my recent experiments with dry shampoos. Here's what I've tried- and found- so far:


Oscar Blandi Pronto Invisible Volumnizing Dry Shampoo Spray
$11-23, source: sephora.com

I decided to go for the smaller, $11 bottle of this dry shampoo... which ended up being tiny. I'm a sucker for anything that says "volumnizing", and always hear that the more expensive dry shampoos tend to work better. I'm currently about 24 hours out from washing my hair, and this stuff has helped.. but I'm still wanting more. Maybe my expectations are a little high, and quite honestly I don't have too many complaints... minus the intoxicating smell of the stuff.





 Tigi Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo
Prices vary, source: tigihaircare.com

So this review may not be totally fair... because I haven't used this product since college (2+ years). However, my memories of it are pretty much all positive. This product smells great and does the job (with a little white residue, which works fine with my blonde hair). My only complaint was that my large bottle of this stuff went fast. But maybe because I used it so frequently because I loved it?! Sounds like its time for me to give this another try...






Johnson's Baby Powder
$5.29 for 22oz, source: Walgreens.com
Ahhhhh... the old stand by. There's nothing quite like baby powder when you're in a hair pinch. Honestly, this works wayyy better than many brand-name shampoos I've tried (coughSEE BELOWcough). Qualms? The smell (my boyfriend always knows when I haven't washed my hair because of that distinct baby powder smell), and it may not blend in as with dark-haired peeps. If they made Johnson's baby powder in different colors and with different scents (or non-scented!), I'd scoop that stuff up in a heartbeat. And if someone becomes rich and famous using this idea, remember where you saw it first!




Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo
$5.29, source: target.com


No. I'm sorry, but in my experience, this may be worse than no dry shampoo at all. When I put this product on my hair, it instantly because grey, weighed down, and matted. It's hard to brush, is uncomfortable, and just isn't worth the five bucks. Trust me.








What dry shampoos have you tried- and loved? Or hated? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment